Blogs have evolved over the years to be a key part of building a strong online brand presence. If business haven’t already, the time is now for businesses to enter the blogosphere.
Having optimized blog posts for both search engines and user’s perusal, is a unique skill for copywriters and is made better by practice. Contrary to popular belief, it’s not a complicated process. There are some simple steps to follow to ensure that everything you publish on your website is SEO-friendly.
Many business’s websites are focused on providing information, much of which doesn’t necessarily change on a regular basis. Your website is therefore not constantly evolving. If there are no product or service updates, or news alerts, it’s unlikely that there is much dynamic content for Google to find and therefore show your website to relevant users. Your website needs to be found by your prospects and Google relies, in part, on fresh content to know if a site is relevant to a prospect’s search. If your website doesn’t appear on page 1 amongst search engines, your business is going to struggle to get traffic and therefore growth will be limited.
A blog can be the answer to providing that fresh, relevant content that your site needs to stay on top of the game. If you are still not sure whether you should add a blog to your site, check out the below 4x significant benefits:
- Improving SEO (search engine optimisation)
Your site serves as an informational outlet, giving visitors background on your company and details on your products or services, to get them to the next step, which is to contact your business. Frequently updating your website’s content prompts Google and other search engines to check in and analyse the new content that’s available, which is why it’s so crucial to add new, relevant content to your site on a regular basis.
An SEO friendly blog post is also a user-friendly blog post. A lot of people believe that if a blog post is optimized for search engines, it is somehow less friendly/readable for users. This is false. The true meaning of SEO is to bring out content that both search engines and users can understand. If both of these conditions are not met, then you have limited chances of achieving high rankings, and your readers are more likely to ‘ignore’ your post. If on the other hand, you manage to meet both criteria, then your blog posts will rank higher and users will spend more time reading and engaging with your content.
- Bringing in leads
With every blog post you upload, indexed pages are added, which means that it gives search engines a reason to check in on your website and amend rankings accordingly. According to research, websites that increase their indexed pages by 50-100, saw significant growth in the number of leads captured. The more quality content containing relevant keywords you have on your site, the more leads you can attract, engage and convert into customers.
- Improve visibility on social media
Blog posts are an ideal way to increase traffic from social media platforms. Sharing blog posts across Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn amongst others, offers your brand exposure to new audiences. You’re finding other online methods to drive traffic back to your site, potentially introducing them to many more aspects of your brand.
- Strategically positioning your brand
Consistency in blogging is paramount! Being helpful and offering expertise in a particular area will help position you as a thought leader in that area, thus keeping you top of mind when your service is needed.
You may ask what’s the best way to make your blog stand out amongst the clutter available online. Pay particular attention to things such as the title of the blog post, the structure of your blog, text formatting, headings and paragraphs.
A post that is SEO optimized does not necessarily have great content.
Contradictory statement right? The quality of the content is one of the most important factors when evaluating a blog post, but it’s not the only one. A well-optimized blog post with great quality content has more chances of ranking higher, while a well-optimized blog post with “poor” content has limited chances of achieving higher rankings. In other words, you shouldn’t expect a blog post to rank high, just because you followed the steps to make it SEO-friendly. It’s the combination of good content and good SEO that will increase a blogs rankings. So, now that you have a better understanding of what is an optimized blog post and what is not, let’s see how to ensure (before you hit the publish button), that your blog will be SEO friendly.
Tips for Writing SEO-Friendly Blog Posts:
- Think before you start writing: Invest time into doing research on the topic at hand
- Create the structure of the blog post: Defining the different parts that outline the article
- Craft the title and URL: Writing a good and interesting title is a very important step for SEO purposes as well as user-friendliness. An optimized title is important for SEO because it gives Search Engines insight into what the page is about.
- Use headings correctly: The heading needs to include your target keyword/s
- Keep your paragraphs short and make use of punctuation: Chances are that the majority of your readers are on mobile, so make it easy for them to read the content.
- Add links when it makes sense: Internal linking is a very effective and easy to follow SEO technique – It helps search engines discover new pages on your website.
- Do make use of keywords (but not keyword stuffing): Don’t add keywords in the text for the sake of doing so – instead do it only when it’s natural to read. Keywords should be in the title of the post, in the main headings, within the content and in the conclusion.
- Optimize the length of your blog: Understand that when writing on a particular topic, you compete with hundreds of other articles that are already published about the same topic. Therefore, your goal is to make your blog better and more informative, so that it will attract the attention of users, and eventually outrank competitors’ blogs. Endorsing a detailed post that covers both sides of a story, with attractive images, references to studies, as well as useful information is much more likely to gain more traction than a ‘lesser’ blog.
- Optimize your meta description: Your description tag is a summary of the post in less than 141 characters. Search engines will show your description in the search results, so it should be informative and interesting, to encourage users to click on your link to read blog.
- Optimize your images and other media elements: Images, graphs, infographics, videos, statistics and other media elements, makes a blog post more interesting to read and enhance the quality of the content.
Before engaging in writing a new blog, invest time into doing thorough research, know exactly what to write about and what you want to achieve/your goals. Follow the guidelines outlined above to write SEO-friendly blog posts, and if you have existing published blogs that are not yet optimized, allocate time to go back and make the necessary changes. Keep publishing high-quality optimized content and the traffic will eventually flow in – It may take time, but is worth it.
Contact us now to get started