Instagram is a highly popular social media platform that allows people to engage with beautiful images of the things they love. Some people enjoy reading lengthy articles of thought provoking information, while others like the short, sharp content associated with tweets or Facebook posts. But for those who love images, video and the more aesthetically pleasing type of content, Instagram is the channel for them, and it’s the #1 choice for many…
• As of April 2016, Instagram had over 400 million active monthly users
• These users have shared over 30 billion photos
• Over 70 million photos are shared per day
Statistics shared as per Hootsuite .
That’s a lot of content that is seen by a large number of potential customers all over the world. If your brand is a highly visual brand that has a lot of image content to share, then Instagram is a great platform to try out. But how do you get your content in front of the right people?
Sharing With The Right Followers
Generally speaking, you will find that a lot of Instagram users stick together in packs, so if you’ve found a customer in Johannesburg and they engage with your content, then you’re also likely to be able to find that some of their friends will fit the same demographic and location. This is the beauty of all social networks; the shareability between friends that amplifies messages to their full potential.
Increasing Your Instagram Followers
Once you’ve developed a decent presence, organic following of your account will become more prevalent. You’ll start to see numbers increase naturally, but it does take some time to get it going. There are a few ways that you can help the process along:
1. Firstly, ensure that your content is amazing. No one is going to follow your account if your images are low resolution, pixelated and boring. There is some stiff competition out there so make sure you can stand your ground by creating incredible content.
2. Host regular competitions or giveaways whereby users can win something cool in exchange for them amplifying your brand messaging. This can be done via sharing your post or “regramming” it (posting someone else’s content on their own timeline – if they use an app to do this then the source is credited).
3. Interact with all users who comment on your posts, even if they are simply trying to draw attention to their own accounts. This shows the world of Instagram that you are active and engaging, and also willing to spend time on people.
4. Follow like-minded users who you think would appreciate your content. You will find that a percentage of them will follow back if your content is eye-catching and engaging.
5. Comment on other user’s posts that are related to your field or interests. This will pique attention from them and hopefully get them to follow your account.
6. Set aside a small monthly budget for Instagram advertising to get a little more traction on your posts and also to have your posts featured in prominent positions on user’s feeds.
Now that you have got the Instagram followers, how do you run your community? Read our blog post on managing your social media community here.
Need further assistance in the field of Instagram? We’ve been Instgramming and regramming for ages.